Costume Photo Shoot

I was packing up all the costumes to put back in storage when I remembered that I didn’t get any pictures of myself in costume this year.  So my husband was kind enough to get the camera out once the kids were in bed for naps.  Since it was spur of the moment I did a much simpler hair-do, kudos to my husband for coming up with it. 🙂


I added an accessory to the outfit for the photoshoot, do you recognize the sword?  (Hint: It is from one of my favorite movies, based on one of my favorite books.)


The picture below highlights the added split and leather strap accent.


Full length view:


And one last picture, just because.



My boots were delivered last week!  They are exactly what I wanted for my Commander Shepard costume.


And I am already enjoying wearing them!

Currently Reading: 

Mass Effect Comics still (I have a lot) 🙂

Last Minute Costume Mash-Up

I have been slowly but surely collecting the fabric and notions for my Commander Shepard costume but it is still solidly in the planning stage.  I did finally find boots for it, though!  But I have been way too busy sewing the kids’ costumes to even think about sewing something new for myself.  Then I thought of my box of costumes in storage and decided to see what I could do with what I have already sewn.  And after a few hours of work last night and this morning I have a new costume! 😀

I started with a dress I sewed during college for the Medieval Faire put on by one of my history classes. Then I added the belt and gauntlets I made for the Tauriel costume from a couple of years ago.


As for the alterations, I added a slit to the front of the skirt and gathered it up to about knee-height.  Then I sewed up a quick leather strap accent to cover the gathering stiches.  I’ll be wearing boots with it, again from my Tauriel costume.


The last touch was covering an elastic headband with some more leather so my hair accesory would match the rest of the outfit.  I’m excited to have something fun and new to wear without having to do much work!


Currently Reading:

Truth Seeker by Dee Henderson

Bat Princess: Finished!!

Grommet strips attached to the back of the dress and cord laced up: Check!


Cape in progress: Check!


Cape completed: Check!


Decorative trim hand sewn around the neckline: Check!


Pictures of the kids in their completed costumes: Coming soon!

Currently Reading: 

The Guardian by Dee Henderson

Bat Princess: Sleeves & Grommets

Last week I had another sewing first: using grommets on a garment.  I was a little intimidated because I’ve only heard bad things about grommets…


However, I was pleasantly surprised by how straight forward it was to put these in.  It was time-consuming but not too difficult after all!  I think it really helped that I marked and cut the holes with scissors before putting in the grommets.


I also put together all the many pieces of the sleeve finally!  I had Vesper try them on to see how they fit before sewing them to the dress:


And here it is all together, just missing the hem and cape now.


Currently Reading: 

The Queen’s Poisoner by Jeff Wheeler

Bat Princess: Update #2

We have all been sick this week but I have still been able to get quite a bit of sewing done anyway.  Vesper’s costume is starting to look really good!  Here she is trying it on after I completed the neck ruffle:


Next I sewed up the side seams and attached the first piece of the sleeves:


Today I was able to spend a lot of the day sewing together the other three pieces of each sleeve.  Thankfully I have an audiobook from the library to listen to, it makes all the sewing go much more smoothly.


And here is one of the two sets of sleeve pieces that I completed:


Bat Princess: First Fitting

I was able to start on Vesper’s Halloween costume last week and it is going pretty well so far.  Once I had the main body of the dress put together Vesper tried it on to make sure it would fit okay since it was looking a bit big.


It looks like it is a good fit around, just a little long.  The length will be easy to fix at least!  I was able to get the interfacing done around the neckline and sewed in the slit.


Now on to the neck ruffle!

Currently Reading:

Some Buried Caesar by Rex Stout

Musketeer Costume: Finished!

The first costume is done!!  Sean loves it and really wants to play with his hat and sword all the time.  I keep telling him he has to wait until after Halloween.  As you can see, he was really enjoying trying on the tabard once I finished it.


We found some boots at Wal-Mart last weekend so we even have all the accessories ready now.  Now, on to Vesper’s costume!

Currently Reading: 
Before Midnight by Rex Stout

Musketeer Costume: First Part Completed

I’ve started sewing every afternoon while Vesper finishes up her school for the day.  It is going slowly but really well.  I’m enjoying getting a little done each day instead of being in a rush to finish it!

I started with the undershirt for Sean’s Musketeer costume.  It was a bit more complicated that I was expecting, but after much staring at the directions I was able to figure it out. 😉  Once I had the main body of the shirt sewn together I had Sean try it on to make sure it was going to fit.  Thankfully it fit great!


Sean is saying “Musketeer!” in that picture. He was happy to try it on that time but once I had the whole shirt sewn together he was not interested any more.  This is the happiest picture I was able to get during the second fitting:


The last step was sewing the button holes, it was my first time to do it in a long time so I had to dig out my sewing machine instructions.  It turned out to be pretty easy after all!  After that I just had to sew on the buttons by hand and it was done.


Now I am starting to work on the tabard for his costume.


Currently Reading:

The Paladin Caper by Patrick Weekes